The Dos and Don’ts of Outdoor Lighting Installation
When installing outdoor lighting, there are certain things you should do to ensure the safety and security of your home, while also making sure the lights look good and add to the aesthetics of your property. Here are some dos and don’ts of outdoor lighting installation:
- Plan your outdoor lighting installation carefully, making sure that all necessary lights are installed, while also taking into consideration any potential obstructions in the area.
- Carefully position the light fixtures so that they do not create glare, light trespass, or shadows on your home’s exterior and landscaping. You should also ensure that they provide
- Choose lighting fixtures that are appropriate for your home’s architecture and landscape. For example, if you have an older home with a classic look, choose vintage-style lamps or lanterns to accentuate the style of the house.
- Select lights that illuminate pathways and entrances without being overly bright or harsh. You want your outdoor space to be inviting, so consider using soft lighting that enhances the atmosphere rather than detracts from it.
- Evaluate your home’s power source; if you don’t have enough outlets or your current wiring is not sufficient for your needs, call an electrician to help with installation.
- Don’t install outdoor lighting without first considering the purpose of the lights; for example, if you are trying to deter burglars, make sure to position the fixtures in such a way that they will cast light on all potential entry points.
- Don’t use high-wattage bulbs in your outdoor fixtures; not only are they more expensive to use, but they can also create glare. Instead, opt for lower-wattage bulbs that produce a softer light and don’t cast harsh shadows.
- Use overly bright or harsh lighting fixtures. Overly bright lights will detract from the ambiance of your outdoor space, rather than enhancing it.
- Install lights without first consulting an electrician. Improperly installed wiring and power sources can lead to safety hazards, so it’s best to work with a professional who knows how to safely install outdoor lighting.
- Select fixtures that don’t complement the look of your home or landscape. When it comes to outdoor lighting, choosing fixtures that accentuate the style and architecture of your home is key to creating a beautiful and well-lit space.
- Forget to consider the position of the sun when installing lights. The sun’s position plays a big role in how effective your outdoor lighting will be, so make sure to take into account where the sun will be at different times of day when planning your installation.
Now that you know some of the dos and don’ts of outdoor lighting installation, you are ready to plan and execute your own installation with confidence! Whether you’re looking to improve the safety and security of your home or simply add some beautiful, functional lighting to your property, following these tips will help ensure that your outdoor lighting is a success. So what are you waiting for? Get started on your outdoor lighting project today!